Other fixes included an opacity change for the sun beam and a fix for the lamp fire.
What Went Well:
Particle changes look cool
What Went Poorly:
Some changes came in too late
Things that went right:
The Scope – the scope the we set up early on this term feels just right considering we managed to get all the major aspects of it with little time to spare. The coders, mainly Jeff, were always stressing out so I think any more to the scope may have killed them. In terms of FX, they were mainly finished around week 7-8 which left those a lot of time for updated visuals.
Teamwork – Everyone got along while making this game. Communication was solid most of the time. People kept each other updated via our discord channel and whenever someone needed help or someone was falling behind they were able to easily contact teammates.
The Effects – A big focus of my work this quarter was centered around the particle effects for the different blessings. I spent quite a bit of time learning more about particles and using that information for the different blessings. Honestly I have become quite fond of it.
Things that went poorly:
Playtesting – every few iterations was a battle to find enough playtests. We would generally end up scampering around trying to find enough playtests, and the few official playtest sessions we had were generally only net us around half of what we needed. I wasn’t able to net anybody myself since the few people I knew never could.
Late Term – As the term entered its final weeks, the amount of work I had became more and more limited. The majority of my time at this point was spent on visual upgrades of a few particles. At some point most of my work began to revolve around making the sun beam look better.
HackNPlan – The HackNPlan was scarcely touched by most people and generally touched by the same people. I was not one of the ones who touched it despite the frequent reminders on discord. I feel like people were content with posting progress on discord.
I really wanted the sun beam to have more of a “beam” feeling to it rather than just the scattered rain type of look. I tried to accentuate the cylinder by making it more visible and making the sparkles the extra effect. I also made the cylinder grow and deflate as if the clouds are opening and closing. The bolt was only toned down in color since the new lighting made it look really blue.
What went well:
I am more satisfied with the beam, and I feel like it is at least close to what it should be.
What went poorly:
I tried to alter the look of the bolt, but didn’t find a satisfying change
Fire particle change
I plan to look up how to make particles converge on a point (an idea I have for the bolt)
Once again, instead of revamping particles I found other tasks that I could complete. The dust is meant for towers that have been destroyed. The targeters from top and left to right are for Isis, Seth, and Sekhmet. They come in colors for both sides.
The shield was the priority for this week. Figuring out the look did not take long and modeling it was also easy. The problem came when I had to figure out how to do emission and opacity in Substance Painter. The FX for Thoth is temporary since we are still trying to figure out what we want. The effect for the stasis tower (the model wasn’t available so I used the lightning obelisk as a placeholder) is temporary but the final should end up being fairly similar.
What Went Well:
The Shield came out well.
What Went Poorly:
There was not much progress when it came to the other FX. This is mainly due to the uncertainty of what they should look like.
Finalized version of the stasis FX and the Thoth FX.