Michael PPJ09

Complete:

  • unit movement while dying feature fixed (1.5h)
  • more tutorial stuff (2h)

 

What went well

  • Units looks much better when they die now.

 

What didn’t

  • tutorial ugh

 

What’s up next

  • aside from minor bug fixes its basically just tutorial stuff

 

 

Postmortem

This term was for some reason just exhausting, probably because it’s Summer and I dislike Summer. The bad parts were bad, but the good ones were great. I don’t even think it was a time issue, as much as a motivation and determination issue. Things I have always struggled with.

This term we went more into the design part of it, which is probably my favorite part about this whole process. Getting to talk about and discuss video games always lead to a great time. Figuring out inspirations and deciding on some big changes were always the highlights of the day.

The team, just like last term was fantastic. People were doing their part, a tad late sometimes, but it always felt like progress was being made. The game now has a full load-out mechanic, a new map, optimized code, a tutorial (eww) and just insane amounts of polish. (The main menu!)

Some things I would change would be to have done balance changes slightly earlier on in the term, as we reached the end of the term we hit what I knew was going to be the hardest part of a game like this with so many systems, balancing. The team always had great ideas on how to balance and as we learn more about the intricacies and they product reaches a more final state we can take a step back and perform our balance duties with much better knowledge. I also learned how to calculate time better for my future tasks.

Going forward I hope to always have a team that’s at least this good. Also some of us were considering carrying on this project and fully fleshing it out. I’m excited for the possibilities and am pleased with how much I learned these past 2 terms as a programmer, designer, and person.

 

Michael PPJ4

Complete:

  • Modified the tower attack so they don’t go into the ground. (0.5h)
  • Modified controls on the pause menu (1h)
  • helped implement the loadout manager into the game (2h)
  • Resume button is now highlighted on pause! (2h)

 

What went well

  • Managed to do many polish things around the game.
  • did even more than I thought I would.

 

What didn’t

  • Unity known issues made my work slower.
  • Mad dash near the end.

 

What’s up next

  • more polish around things!

Michael PPJ2

Complete:

  • Added new blessing: give a shield to units and towers in selected area (5h)
  • helped fix unit movement visuals (1h)
  • Fixed couple of bugs I encountered as I was implementing blessing (1.5)

 

What went well

  • Fixing bugs wasn’t hard, just tedious
  • made some improvements around in my code and old code.

 

What didn’t

  • Slightly more work to implement shield than I initially thought, as I hadn’t written the code I was using.
  • Still in a new term slump, I fully expect it to be like next term and in the next week or two we hit our stride and kick ass.

 

What’s up next

  • One more blessing and loadouts.
  • maybe new maps.

Michael PPJ09

Completed Tasks

  • bug fixing(3h)
  • commenting and refactoring code, getting ready for possible next term(2h)

What Went Well

  • I fell like my grasp at Unity has vastly improved.
  • Most code was done and looks/reads great.

What Could Have Gone Better

  • Bug finding.

Upcoming

  • Possibility of taking it into next term!

 

Overall, I would consider this term a great success. The team was fantastic and we accomplished almost everything we set out to do.

Personally I got much better at Unity, and keep improving not only at using the Engine, but at programming. I also learned a lot about navigation and using it and debugging it. Found a great team.

Started somewhat slow. I think Navmesh kept me busy for just a bit too long, but it was important so maybe it’s not so bad. Kept trying to over complicate myself when approaching new tasks, in the future it would really benefit me from thinking a little simpler.

I’m very excited to possibly continue this project onto next term with this team!

Michael PPJ08

Completed Tasks

  • Added music player (1h)
  • Bug-tested and playtested again (2h)
  • Fixing screen resolution issues (2.5h)

What Went Well

  • Reused code from previous project for music!
  • Keep getting better at Unity as I remember it. Again. Again. Yet Again. MORE!
  • navmesh and its issues are taken care of, no problems atm! keeps being true this week!
  • Fixed menus, now look nicer too!

What Could Have Gone Better

  • Doing everything faster

Upcoming

  • Polishing.