- Initial Group Meeting (3 hrs)
- Character/Environment Art Sketches (4 hrs)
- Digital Character Design/Style Test Art (3 hrs)
Total hours: 10 hours
What Went Well?
Overall, everything is going well. The meeting successfully lead to a lot of productive conversation regarding general design and getting everyone on the same page in terms of project direction. Character design was interesting, trying to balance Egyptian authenticity with making each unit visibly distinct. There were multiple changes to the individual outfits until I settled on each one. The final digital renderings of the units were able to pull double duty for both demonstrating the different designs and showing a few aesthetics the team could pursue.
What Could Have Gone Better?
There weren’t many issues for this week, but a concrete art aesthetic should be established before the artists move further. Luckily, both I and the environmental concept artist (Meagan) followed similar directions after viewing the reference material provided by team lead (Jeff).
The team also needs to establish priority in terms of art assets. While jumping into concept art was the correct decision, we should try and understand what assets are critical and must be created first versus the assets that can wait for additional development next term or can be made with less polish and detail.
- Helping create the GDD
- Making aesthetic choices for the game (art style, color palette, etc.)
- Additional concept art (maybe)
- Rough asset development
- Meeting Time (1 hour)
- Research environment references (1 hour)
- Sketching ideas from reference (3 hours)
- Developing a color palette and digitally rendering sketches (4 hours)
- Testing out environment placements (2 hours)
Total hours = 11 hours
A few of the items I designed for the environment this week. I focused on some of the smaller filler elements.
The second image is my environment test. I wanted to see how my environment pieces fit together (are they cohesive?). I call this piece 50 shades of sand.
What went well
We were on top of setting up the proper materials we would need to communicate and make progress on our game. Everyone was able to show up and participate in the meeting which was great. Personally, I think I started a good base for exploring what environmental objects we want in the game. I have a better sense of what I need to “fill in the gaps” so to speak. In terms of the art team we are on the same page with art style which is always a plus.
What could be better
Everyone’s schedules are all over the place so meeting is sort of difficult. I also think as we start to develop art assets there should be more communication to keep it cohesive.
I want to concept a few more “extravagant” background/environment pieces and revise/approve the ones I already created so I can start modeling. Also develop the GDD!