More Concept Art, Mark Hurley, Week 3 Journal

Task Completed:

Group Meeting (4.5 hours)

Character Design and art (6 hours)

Document Work (2 hours)

Total hours: 12.5

unitDesign_white.png

unitDesign_red.pngcolorPalette1.png

What Went Well?

In terms of art and concept art, things are going well. We created strong designs for the characters and towers. We have a few good pieces of concept art to show the mood and tone of the environment. It is far enough along that I feel confident moving onto asset development over the next week.

 

What Could Have Gone Better

There is a communication issue in the team on the meeting side. While many sides had legitimate excuses, having a significant portion of the team miss the Sunday meeting was very unfortunate and limited design discussion.

After receiving critique from a senior, it’s clear the GDD will need additional work to flesh sections out and structure it better. It is currently written in shorter abbreviated comments and lack the depth and detail necessary for a game project. Moving forward, we need clearer design leadership.

 

Upcoming:

Finalize game design

Work on GDD

Begin asset development

Javier Figueroa PPJ 2

Completed Tasks:

  • Created a map variants for possible use. (2 hr)
  • Created concepts for the archer tower. (3 hr)
  • Meetings (6 hrs)

We discussed whether or not the original map may be too straightforward so I drew up another map as a future possible option. The second map I drew was asymmetrical across each lane but we decided against it.

 

IMG_1176 (1)

 

What went well:

  • Making the second symmetrical map went smoothly and didn’t take up too much time.
  • I managed to find good reference images for the towers.

 

What went poorly:

  • It took a little too long to find get the reference images for the towers.
  • The GDD needs work.
  • We are going to need to cut down on what we have since we may not be able to do nearly as much as we may have originally thought.

 

Upcoming:

  • UI flowchart.
  • Update the GDD.
  • Decide which map to work with (at least for now).
  • Will begin modeling.

Meagan’s PPJ 02

Completed Tasks

  • Two Meetings (6.5 hours)
  • Atmosphere/Environment Concept Paintings (5 hours)
  • Mood Board and Color Palette (2 hours)
  • Symmetrical Map with Nile (10 minutes)
  • Two Team Logos (1.5 minutes)

Total Hours = 15 hours 10 minutes

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The first two pieces are atmospheric paintings. Since we have a lot of sand textures and we refined our color palette this week I played around with color to display our options. It helped us understand what combinations work well together so we are not blinding the player with too much yellow or bright colors.  The last two images are the two logos I created this week for our team, Good Boy Logo and Vector Pharaoh Dog Logo.

What went well

The art team showed more communication this week so we have a stronger sense of style and direction. We finished up environment and character concept art so we can move on to modeling those assets next week. We solved some technical issues with the character design and how it appears on the map.

What could be better

Team communication could be better when it comes to meetings. We need to get ideas out to the team for approval faster. We are behind schedule with tower and other weapon concept art. Also we are floating in limbo with the art asset list so we will be refining that.

Upcoming

I will move on to modeling environment pieces next week. I want to compile an asset list for every object that needs to be conceptualized and modeled, so we don’t miss anything. The tower designs are a priority so I will be doing what I can to help wrap those up so they are ready for modeling.