- Design Discussion (30 min)
- Cool Down Bar mock-ups (1 hrs 30 min)
- Pause Menu/Tool Tip mock-ups (3 hrs)
Total Hours = 5 hrs
I wanted to finalize the tool tips position so I started exploring ways to implement it into the pause menu and game screen. The cool down bars also need to be implemented, so I started thinking about new ways of displaying the bars and the tool tips on the screen effectively. The last two images are examples of what the icons could look like for the cool down bars.
What Went Well
I made some progress with the tool tips design and position and I could say the same about the cool down bars. I have discussed the design and placement of tool tips and the cool down bars with teammates. I think we could finalize the design this week and finally start implementing these features.
We have been kind of stuck on the idea of tool tips and the cool down bars for a while. There is a bit of a conflict concerning screen space and the players attention. We want to display both on the in game menu in a way that the player does not need to look that far from their UI to read the tool tips or to see what blessings or effects the other player has used. That has been a bit of a design issue we have been working out.
Finalize tool tips and the cool down bars. I want to start implementing them so we can test the layout in future playtests. That might help us solve some design issues. Finalizing UI so we can test it is the priority so I can jump in there when needed. (Maaayybe new map designs).
Loadout Menu: 5h
Loadout Menu Debugging: 1h
LOADOUT. MENU. IT’S HAPPENING.
The loadouts. They happened. They work. They’re not super pretty (yet). BUT they’re in the game. They’re hooked up. And we’ve got the beginnings of a sexy sexy menu. After a little bit of coding, a lot of thinking, and a decent amount of figuratively bashing my head against a wall, we got them in, we got them hooked up, and now we have this functionality for alpha.
Content included: having to reset the position numbers twice because I can’t read, weird voodoo math where 1+3 = 7, except when 1+3 = 5, and accidentally trying to load the next scene every single frame because my brain was oozing out of my ears.
Loading screens didn’t get finished because loadouts ate my time & fried my brains. Accidentally fried Unity a few times. All self-inflicted.
Loadscreens, for real this time. Getting the rest of Meagan’s beautiful loadout UI implemented! Also, playtesting because why else bother having an extrovert?!
Bonus content: Memeing it up on Facebook while breaking the game.
Group Meeting (4 hours)
GDD Work (10 hours)
Total hours: 14
What Went Well?
After the previous sell presentation and we failed to answer some simple questions on how the systems of our game were designed, I was promoted to Lead Designer and spent the week rewriting the GDD to be more thorough breakdowns of our systems and making sure our mechanics work well together. Nearly the entire document was rewritten and there are still some problematic elements of the design, but I believe it has made a significant amount of improvement.
The communication has also increased; but the biggest improvement is our delegation of task. More elements of design and management have been given to more people, taking the load off Jeff and allowing for faster iteration and output.
What Could Have Gone Better
There are some team members that appear to be falling behind, but that isn’t my major concern at the moment. I believe the team can finish our game by the end of the term. There are parts of our current design that still need to be reworked and require deliberate consideration.
I also fear that people are not consulting the GDD enough because of its hefty size. I need to stress in future the importance of the document for future development and to compartmentalize it’s information into more digestible chunks.
Continue work on GDD
Begin unit asset development